Abegweit First Nation is pleased to offer childcare services in our Mi’kmaq community of Scotchfort. The Abegweit First Nation Early Years Centre is a provincially licensed centre offering a high quality early learning environment for children ages 0 – 5 years. Childcare is one of the most important aspects of a child’s early years. It is in these early years that support, development, and learning are key in regards to getting a child off to a good start in life and their education journey. We strive to offer premium childcare services to all community members within a safe and healthy environment, while encompassing our culture, values, and beliefs in the education of our children.
Infant Program: Ages 0-2 years
Toddler Program: Ages 2-3 years
Prekindergarten / Headstart Program
Cooking and Assisting in the programs
- Learning centres facilitating growth: in Language, Math, Cognitive, Social, Science, Fine and Gross Motor, Creativity and Dramatic Play
- Mi’kmaq language daily at circle time, as well as casually throughout the day
- Daily outdoor activities, weather permitting, in our back yard including walks on the nearby trail, Pow Wow grounds, or through the community
- Nutritious meal and snacks
- Toileting, Teeth care, Rest time
We have a policy where parents may come in to volunteer when we need an extra adult to assist. For their volunteer service, we offer a credit towards their monthly child care fees.
We believe in the following principles:
- All children have a right to an Early Childhood Education
- We support and encourage every child to enjoy lifelong learning
- We believe that each child is a gift to their community
- Any child, regardless of their ability, will be accepted and supported
- We support parents and guardians as the primary teachers and caregivers of their children
- We recognize and support the role of the extended family in teaching and caring for children
- We recognize the broader Aboriginal community as having a role in the raising of our children
- We believe in modeling and promoting a healthy and active lifestyle
- We believe in providing children and parents with opportunities to learn about and further develop nutritious and healthy eating habits
- We believe in encouraging respect for the values, cultures and traditions of all people
The centre is located at 86 Gluscap Drive, Scotchfort and its mailing address: P.O. Box 36, Mount Stewart PEI, C0A 1T0. For more information, please contact Early Childhood Director, Jennifer Nangreaves at (902)676-2412 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.